Hopi Ear Candling
Hopi Ear Candling, or Thermo Auricular Therapy as it is also known, can be used to treat many conditions of the ear, nose and throat area.
The candles work by vapourising their ingredients once lit, causing convectional air flow towards the first chamber of the ear. The candle creates a mild suction which lets the vapours gently massage the eardrum and auditory canal.
This inducesa pleasant feeling of warmth and a balance of pressure in the ears, forehead and sinuses. It is soothing and relaxing.
Where it came from?
Hopi Ear Candles are an ancient and natural therapy handed down by many civilisations. The tradition of ear candling reached the modern world via the native American Hopi Indians of North Arizona. They used candles in medicinal ceremonies and initiations to clear negative energies from the head and aura. The candles are still made today on the basis of the old traditional formula originating from the Hopi Indians.
The Candle and its ingredients
The candle is hollow tube containing flax, honey, beeswax, sage, camomile, St John's Wort, beta carotene etc.. Flax is made into a kind of linen which is dipped into a solution containing honey, herbal oils and extracts for about 4-6 weeks. Then the fabric is suspended to allow the excess honey to drain off. This honey soaked fabric is then rolled into the small hollow tube, the filter inserted and sprayed with beeswax to help it to maintain its shape and to seal in the essential ingredients.
The Hopi Ear Candles used in my treatment sessions are Biosun candles. These are one of the only EU standard candles on the market. They are specially designed with a safety filter and a red line marked on them to designate the maximum burn level.
What conditions can benefit from Hopi Ear Candle treatment?
- Tinitus, compacted ear wax and glue ear
- Sore throats and hay fever
- Headache and migraine
- Sinusitis and rhinitis
- Catarrh and asthma
- Relieves pressure/pain when flying or diving
If you are in doubt about any of these conditions or problems you have with your ear you must consult your GP before attending a treatment.
Whilst there are no known contraidications it is wise not to use Hopi Ear Candles:
- If grommets are in place
- if you have recently perforated eardrum
- You are suffering an ear infection
- If you are on “ear” medication from your GP (need GP's permission)
- If cochlear implant has been fitted
- You are allergic or sensitive to any of the ingredients used in the candle's manufacture
- Ear candles are safe to use during pregnancy. However, it is not recommend using them within the first 3 months.
What does the treatment include?
- A short consultation about medications and ear conditions
- A candle is then put in the first ear and lit (this lasts approximately 10 minutes)
- The second ear is then treated
- Followed by a head and facial massage to improve circulation and energy flow to the area